Information by the U.S. Department of Transportation National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in 2011 revealed interesting statistics pertaining to bicyclists. Unfortunately, the information is not all positive.
- In 2011, 677 cyclists were killed in motor vehicle accidents
- In 2011, an additional 48,000 were injured in motor vehicle accidents
- Cyclist deaths accounted for 2% of all motor vehicle traffic deaths
- 2% of people injured in traffic crashes during that year were cyclists
Bicyclists and other cyclists include:
- Riders of two-wheel non-motorized vehicles
- All vehicles powered by pedals
- The term “pedalcyclist” is used to identify all cyclists
Where Did the Majority of Cyclists Fatalities Occur in 2011?
- 69% occurred in urban areas
- 59% occurred at non-intersections
- The majority of fatalities (30%) occurred between 4 pm and 7:59 pm
- The fewest fatalities occurred between midnight and 3:59 a.m.
Average Age of Pedalcyclists Killed and Injured
- 2011 – average age of death was 43
- 2011 – average age of injury was 32
- The majority of cyclists killed or injured in 2011 were males (85% and 78%)
- In 2011, the cyclists fatality rate per capita was almost six times higher for males than for females
- The injury rate per capita was almost four times higher for males
More than ¼ of the cyclists killed in 2011 had a BAC of .01 and around ¼ had a BAC of .08 or higher.
- Alcohol involvement for the driver of a motor vehicle or the cyclist was reported in more than 37% of the crashes resulting in death
Free Case Review with Attorney Paul VanDerwerken for Cyclist Injuries and Fatalities; No Fees Unless Your Case is Won or Settled
If you were injured in a cycling accident and you believe the party that struck you was at fault, it is important to preserve your rights to compensation for your medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering, property damage, loss of enjoyment of life, and more. If you were seriously injured you could require a lifetime of care. Attorney Paul VanDerwerken has successfully negotiated settlement agreements for more than 2000 parties and has taken more than 125 cases to verdict in court. Attorney VanDerwerken offers a free case review to discuss your options; there are no fees or charges involved. To schedule your complimentary case review, call 702-385-5050.